Monday, October 22, 2007

Persuasion principles

from http://changingminds.org/principles/principles.htm

  • Alignment: When everything lines up, there are no contradictions to cause disagreement.
  • Amplification: Make the important bits bigger and other bits smaller.
  • Appeal: If asked nicely, we will follow the rules we have made for ourselves.
  • Arousal: When I am aroused I am full engaged and hence more likely to pay attention.
  • Association: Our thoughts are connected. Think one thing and the next is automatic.
  • Assumption: Acting as if something is true often makes it true.
  • Attention: Make sure they are listening before you try to sell them something.
  • Authority: Use your authority and others will obey.
  • Bonding: I will usually do what my friends ask of me, without negotiation.
  • Closure: Close the door of thinking and the deal is done.
  • Completion: We need to complete that which is started.
  • Confidence: If I am confident, then you can be confident.
  • Confusion: A drowning person will clutch at a straw. So will a confused one.
  • Consistency: We like to maintain consistency between what we think, say and do.
  • Contrast: We notice and decide by difference between two things, not absolute measures.
  • Daring: If you dare me to do something, I daren't not do it.
  • Deception: Convincing by trickery.
  • Dependence: If you are dependent on me, I can use this as a lever to persuade you.
  • Distraction: If I distract your attention, I can then slip around your guard.
  • Evidence: I cannot deny what I see with my own eyes.
  • Exchange: if I do something for you, then you are obliged to do something for me.
  • Experience: I cannot deny what I experience for myself.
  • Fragmentation: Break up the problem into agreeable parts.
  • Framing: Meaning depends on context. So control the context.
  • Harmony: Go with the flow to build trust and create subtle shifts.
  • Hurt and Rescue: Make them uncomfortable then throw them a rope.
  • Interest: If I am interested then I will pay attention.
  • Investment: If I have invested in something, I do not want to waste that investment.
  • Logic: What makes sense must be true.
  • Objectivity: Standing back decreases emotion and increases logic.
  • Passion: Enthusiasm is catching.
  • Perception: Perception is reality. So manage it.
  • Pull: Create attraction that pulls people in.
  • Push: I give you no option but to obey.
  • Repetition: If something happens often enough, I will eventually be persuaded.
  • Scarcity: I want now what I may not be able to get in the future.
  • Similarity: We trust people who are like us or who are similar to people we like.
  • Specificity: People fill in the gaps in vague statements.
  • Substitution: Put them into the story.
  • Surprise: When what happens is not what I expect, I must rethink my understanding.
  • Tension: I will act to reduce the tension gaps I feel.
  • Threat: If my deep needs are threatened, I will act to protect them.
  • Trust: If I trust you, I will accept your truth and expose my vulnerabilities.
  • Understanding: If I understand you, then I can interact more accurately with you.

No comments: